Saturday 6 May 2017

Update

wow it's been a long time since I have done an update, almost 2 years!
A lot has happened in that time, let's start with the Monkey mans journey.
So after his surgery in June 2015 he went into AFO splint for 6 months. Then onto physio but it was determined that his stubborn foot was regressing again :(
So in September 2016 he went for a more invasive surgery. To be honest I can't remember everything she did but he had a deformity in his for that was preventing it from being corrected. So it involved the big toe, outside of his foot and the top of his foot and moving a tendon or two and some other stuff.  He was back in the cast for 6 weeks after that. I decided to fabricate a cover for his cast to keep it dry through the snow so I used a water resistant fleece lined material since it was winter here. It did its job thankfully. If you are dealing with kids in casts I highly recommend the drypro brand of waterproof vacuum sealed cast covers. Well worth the money!
After that surgery he has had more physio, and now custom orthotics and I'm not convinced it's his last surgery but the orthotics make him walk so much better. We go back in September for our follow up and I am really hoping he doesn't need another surgery because my boy wants to play hockey so badly and that just won't work with casts. I know it's not the end of the world and his feet are more important but when he's been asking for years to play I just want it to happen.
Also in the time since writing monkey man has gotten glasses and have been dealing with trying to get his one eye corrected since it's prescription is so much stronger than the other. So he does red/green eye therapy daily and it's making a huge difference. It's a bit hard to explain but on red paper I print things like worksheets in black ink. He does those worksheets while wearing a pair of glasses over his real glasses that have one red lens and one green lens. The "bad eye" gets to see everything while the bad eye doesn't see it all. It's instead of patching - because the good eye could become worse or his eyes could end up seeing independently of each other. So far it's going amazing.
He amazes me that with everything that gets sent his way he still is such a happy Smiley kid!

Now non monkey man related we have added a new baby to the family in August 2016. She really
Completed our family. After having a devastating loss of a pregnancy my last pregnancy was the most emotionally challenging. She was also born not breathing after a few complications during the pregnancy and labour. All in all I'm glad it's over and she's here and keeping me on my toes now that she is so mobile :)  I will post a different post of something I wrote after I lost my baby whom I named Camdyn.

Boo is growing like crazy too and will be starting Kindergarten next year and Monkey man will be in grade 1! It's so crazy how fast they grow. I will end it here as I can't possibly write everything that has gone on in the past 2 years :)

I will try to add pictures later as it's not letting me now

No comments:

Post a Comment